Cherokee Foothills Visitor Center
Project Type: Museum Restoration of the House; Rehabilitation of the Store; Site Development
Location: Travelers Rest, South Carolina
The John H. Goodwin House and Store are listed on the National Register of Historic Places and sit on Highway 11, a National Scenic Byway. Started as a log structure in 1793, the house was gradually expanded to reach its present form in the 1840s. It was the central structure on an antebellum plantation that grew to comprise more than 4,000 acres. The property also served as the local Post Office after 1824 and as a general store as early as the 1840s.
Work has included an extensive physical investigation to determine the condition of the remaining house and store. The store was fully rehabilitated and the house was stabilized. Work on this property is ongoing.