E. W. King House
Bristol Regional History Museum
Project Type: Historic Preservation, Renovation
Location: Bristol, Tennessee
Client: Bristol Historical Association
Constructed in 1903 on a hill overlooking downtown Bristol, the Edward Washington King house was built by one of the city’s most influential and generous civic leaders. Mr. King was first a merchant in the dry goods business and then, along with his brother, owner of the largest wholesale shoe distributorship in the southeast.Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the house is now owned by the Bristol Historical Association and plans are underway to rehabilitate the building for use as the Bristol Regional History Museum.
The house was based on a plan published in 1901 by Knoxville, Tennessee architect George R. Barber and reflects the Queen Ann style with elaborate chimneys, molded brickwork, and irregular massing. Due to its ownership with E. W. King, the future museum will restore and interpret the main rooms of the house as his residence and provide space for rotating exhibits and the association’s offices and archives.
A Historic Documentation and Finishes Report was completed in 2008 that investigated alterations to the house and
documented original paint colors and wallpapers. Fragments of original wallpapers indicate the interior was rich with finely gilded wallpapers.
A Preservation Plan is currently being developed that will provide a design, scope of construction work, and budget for the complete rehabilitation.