Project Type: Museum, Restoration
Location: Clemson University, Clemson, South Carolina
Awards: 2004 Honor Award, North Carolina Chapter, American Institute of Architects; 2004 South Carolina Historic Preservation Honor Award
The plantation home of John C. Calhoun and Thomas Green Clemson, Fort Hill stands today in the midst of Clemson University. This National Historic Landmark is largely intact due to Calhoun’s occupancy and is both a symbolic focus and active museum that was in great need of restoration and repairs.
A master plan (modified HSR) was first developed which included analysis of archival and physical evidence for restoration to ca. 1827–50, for both the landscape and the buildings. The first phase of construction included structural stabilization, exterior restoration, and new mechanical systems. A second phase included interior historic finishes and wallpapers that reflect the influential life of Calhoun, including reproductions of original patterns found at Fort Hill.