Project Type: Historic Preservation
Location: Murphy, North Carolina
Constructed ca. 1869, Harshaw Chapel is a fine example of vernacular Greek Revival architecture. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, along with its surrounding Cemetery, for its historic significance associated with the early development of Murphy, the county seat of Cherokee County. It is the oldest intact architectural landmark in Murphy and the sole extant mid-nineteenth century church and brick structure in Cherokee County. In addition, many prominent early citizens are buried in the cemetery and there is the potential of valuable historical information through archaeology.
The proposed work focuses on exterior restoration, structural repairs, and restoration of the steeple. The principal goal is to halt the process of deterioration and repair or replace damaged or missing original materials and assemblies. Included in the gallery are images of the steeple showing the steeple in 1965, the current steeple and proposed restoration.
Additional work to be undertaken in a second phase include louvered shutters with hand wrought hardware, windows, exterior door, handrails at front steps, interior features, mechanical, electrical and plumbing and site access (ramp and steps).