Historic Guilford County Courthouse
Project Type: Historic Preservation
Location: Greensboro, NC
Constructed ca. 1920, the Old Guilford County Courthouse is in Greensboro, Guilford County, North Carolina.
Designed by noted architect Harry Barton, it is a rectangular Renaissance Revival building with five stories, a rusticated raised basement, fluted Ionic pilasters on the upper three stories, a stone balustrade, and a shallow pedimented hexastyle portico. It served as the courthouse until 1974 when it became part of the county complex which combines the old and new courthouses as the center of county government.
The courthouse was in need of exterior repairs to halt and reverse deterioration and weathering. The scope of work for construction included the cleaning, repair, and replacement of materials that will ensure the continued use of this important local landmark for the future. All proposed work is in keeping with the historic character of the building, which is listed on the Nation Register of Historic Places.