Historic Polk County Courthouse
Project Type: Renovation, Addition
Location: Columbus, North Carolina
Awards: 2008 Gertrude S. Carraway Award of Merit, Preservation North Carolina; 2008 National Award of Excellence, Association of Builders and Contractors
Exterior restoration of this 1859 courthouse was based upon detailed physical investigation and historic photographs. Completed in two phases, missing details of the wood cupola were restored along with the original bell wheel. Additional exterior work included brick masonry, stucco, exterior trim, windows, shutters, and doors, protected with a new roof. Structural repairs included extensive work on the first-floor framing and foundations.