Location: Hendersonville, North Carolin
Project Type: Historic Preservation
Award: Hendersonville Historic Preservation Commission, 2014 Residential Preservation Award
Built ca. 1856 and renovated extensively in 1908, the Killarney House is a contributing structure within the Hyman Heights Historic District. Much of the 1908 renovation work, designed by Richard Sharp Smith of Asheville, is intact. Smith was the on-site architect for the Biltmore House and later designed many prominent buildings in the region.
Rehabilitation work included maintenance and repairs such as a new roof, wood and stone restoration, and painting. The interior also received general repairs, reconfiguration of bathrooms, and a new kitchen. Some limited structural repairs were made to the main staircase, which had sagged due to overstressed cantilevers at the landings. Carports were also added, with lattice matching that of the original back porch.