The Exchange Building
Project Type: Historic Preservation – Commercial
Location: Brevard, North Carolina
Originally Citizens Telephone Company, the Exchange Building was constructed in 1953 to accommodate new equipment for dial service. After many years of neglect, it was purchased by Harris Architects in 2002 and rehabilitated for offices. Work included selective removal of added features, restoration of glass block and steel sash, stucco repair, and the addition of a new exterior stair. The interior features exposed structural members and an open plan with partial height partitions, recalling the original utilitarian purpose of the space while providing an inviting work environment.